Monday 10 February 2014

Head over heels

After long last it came. The day I´ve dreaded to face.Until now I had taken detours to avoid all these vicious heads staring at me from my paintstation, but it had to be done; Face painting. I don´t know what you think about this peculiar task, but personally I die a bit on the inside everytime I have to paint an eye. They are so darn small that more often than not my models looks like they got hit in the head, eyes pointing in different directions.

So like any sane person would do I hunt down some tips on the net, find a nice face painting tutorial and start reading just to be smitten! Why? Well, as it isn´t enough to paint the eye white and try to jam that brush point at the right spot. Nooo, you paint it black first. Then, just to make it a wee bit harder- paint it white, leaving an impossible thin black border and finish the masterwork whit a black dot in the exact middle. And if that wasn´t enough they go through the painting of the iris. How to put an absurdley small pupil in the middle of the iris and then how to paint a reflection in the previously mentioned pupil. WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!? The eyesockets on the models are about 1mm wide, how is that even possible?

Crestfallen I went back to my paintstation and resumed working on those heads. But without mascara, shiny blue eyes and reflection of magical stars in those wells of the soul. This time luck struck and I managed to paint those eyes to a decent look:



Only tweleve heads to go. Hopefully madness won´t get to me before I´m done. If anyone got tips on how to handle those eyes they are very welcome.

"The den of stiiinking evil! Cover your nose Boo, we will leave no crevice untouched!"

2 comments: